Capital of Tripura, Agartala is situated on the banks of river Haora close to the border with Bangladesh. Tripura is among the seven states that form the north eastern region of India. It was the capital of the former princely state of Tripura. It shot into prominence only after Maharaja Krishna Manikya shifted his capital to the city. Agartala offers some outstandingly beautiful palaces, gardens, hills, temples and lakes. Perfection is the word for the architectural monuments of the city. The red government buildings are in contrast against the remarkably usually white old British buildings that are still in existence and in use. Some of the monuments have been selected as UNESCO world heritage sites.
Agartala has a good sporting tradition, with many sports and games being played. Especially favourite is football (soccer) with its own city football league. Agartala is famous for its seasonal fruits. The Queen and Kew varieties of pineapple are popular. Tripura Orange is well known for its high juice content and special sweetness.
Tripura oranges have secured highest honour several times in the all India “Citrus Show”. Do not forget to visit the pineapple gardens, litchi orchards, cashew orchards and orange gardens. The festival of Durga Pooja is celebrated with great pomp and show. Another prominent festival is Saraswati Pooja. The town is home to 19 indigenous tribal groups and Bengali speaking non-tribals. It was Maharaja Krishna Chandra Manikya Bahadur, of Manikya Dynasty, who shifted the capital of Swadhin Tripura to Agartala in the 19th century.
The earlier capital was Rangamati in south Tripura. It was shifted to old Agartala which was called ‘Haveli’. However, frequent invasions by Kuki’s and also to maintain communication with British Bengal, the Maharaja shifted his capital from Old Haveli to New Haveli (present Agartala) in 1849. During the British Raj, Agartala was the capital of the former ‘Hill Tippera’ state. During the reign of Maharaja Bir Chandra Manikya (1862), Agartala Municipality was formed. In the 1940s the town was planned and re-constructed properly with new roads, markets and buildings.