Amreli district derives its name from the town of Amreli, which is the Head Quarter of the district. It is believed that during the year 534 AD, Amreli existed as a city place with name Anumanji. After that the name was Amlik and then Amravati. The ancient Sanskrit name of Amreli was Amarvalli. Initially Amreli was the part of Former Gaikwad State of Baroda. During Gaikwad regime in 1886, the compulsary and free education policy was adopted in Amreli for the first time. After independence the district became the part of Bombay State and a separate district in Gujarat State after the bifurcation of Bombay State.